Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: My Results Have Varied. It Depends On The Recording

"I'm not sure what other SACDs you have tried and their quality. I can say however the Mahler 2nd is one of the better SACDS amongst what I own. I don't have any vinyl for the Mahler 2nd though to compare.

Have you tried any of the RCA LS, Opus 3, APO SACDs???????"

Yes, I had around 30--Linns, RCA LS's, Telarcs, Pentatones.

Let's just say that the SACD, DSD signature sound came back and was instantly recognisable--a good, dark rich sound with sparkling highs and smoother strings and an overall ensemble sound that is clearly more integrated yet dimensional--but I just slightly prefer the set-back sound of vinyl that has the above positives, but adds even more dimensionality, a laser-like focus on wind instruments, such as clarinet or oboe, better planar imaging, and even more a sense of hall acoustic.

Finally--all precise rationalists out there, hold your nose--there's just more of a sense of the "essence of music," there's something about the rhythms and delicacy of sound on vinyl that I prefer, but SACD clearly got me into the bliss zone too. Maybe if I win the lottery I'll try the Meitner.

If you listen(ed) to vinyl you know what I mean. If you're scratching your head, but you lived in America and your vinyl collection was about 95% Bernstein and Ormandy, (they were gods to me and I wouldn't buy any other conductor LOL), pressed on god-awful Columbia, RCA or Angel in the '70's--, you might want to try a few Londons, Deccas, EMIs, Philips for the most part, and DG. There are millions of them floating around still in perfect condition.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: My Results Have Varied. It Depends On The Recording - jdaniel 08:49:40 01/03/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.