Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Oh, Oh- I'm no Beethoven expert. So please look to others for below the surface opinions. But...

Prolly older than 1975.

The performance was originally released on vinyl, then on dolby-B processed 7 1/2 ips reel-to-reel tape (which I bought in like 1971 or 1972). I have the tape, which eventually succumbed in the odd way that tape does (miscellaneous squeals that appear without warning) to having been recorded at extraordinarily high levels. Some years later, I found the same performance re-released on CD and bought it, just for the performance. The CD release is not the best from a sound quality standpoint.

I make no claim to being an aficionado but everyone who hears that recording, finds it exciting.

I dunno, maybe the cognoscenti find it overcooked.

Was just interested in your opinion and a comparison of it (if you have it) with the two SACD releases you've mentioned. I'm on the lookout for a sonically better recording, but I want an exciting performance also.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Oh, Oh- I'm no Beethoven expert. So please look to others for below the surface opinions. But... - Bruce from DC 14:08:40 01/02/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.