Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

I'm definitely not giving up on the Vanska.

Maybe it was just too different from my favorite performances for me to accept it in the first listening. I'll give it some more listenings. For what it is worth, Berlioz wrote the Symphonie Fantastique in 1826, just about five years after this was completed, and that is romanticism through and through. Frankly, though, I still find it hard to believe that Berlioz wrote a work like that in 1826. Regardless, given such Beethoven symphonies as the 3rd and 5th, I don't think it's expecting too much for what I percieve of as grandeur and power. For my tastes, the 1st movement should be set a tone of depth, of serious intent, not of the lightness conveyed by the clipped, to me abreviated chords.

But I make no claim to expertise in these matters, and my "tastes" are a product of my prior experience. For example, I happen to like the Klemperer performance, though the singing is weak, and that performance is very different from Vanska's. It's great that we can sit in our own house and have so much to choose from! It took me some effort to hear the 9th the three times I heard it in person, and that was over 45 years. I still have never heard the 3rd in person, though I have more than 10 recordings of it.

Joe

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I'm definitely not giving up on the Vanska. - jsm 12:37:37 01/02/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.