Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

OK, I'll play.

"When you're at a live concert, is all of the applause entirely in front of you, or is some or most of it behind you?"

Depends on where I sit, though I've never gone to a concert or jazz club to listen to the applause. I'd note, too, that having spectatored rehearsals as well as the actual performances, the latter always sound somewhat different, the result of having the warm-body room treatment of a capacity live audience installed in the performance venue. By far the vast majority of the recordings I listen to haven't been performed before a live audience, so unless the producer and engineer have inserted something to simulate one, what I hear in those recordings won't sound like what I hear in a live performance from my tenth-, fifteenth-, or twentieth-row seat, anyway.

"Do you really feel you can hear the back of the recorded space (club, auditorium, concert hall, or whatever) with only your two front channels?"

Depends on the recording--and to no small degree on speaker placement and room acoustics, particularly its diffusive envelope, something I've spent some time fine-tuning in my more or less dedicated listening space. Altering that envelope will indeed induce "collapse" into the speaker plane and behind it, but with proper positioning the sonic presentation blooms into the room, achieves non-window, spatial-cue ambience--and in some cases (again, recording-dependent) moves the applause in a live-performance recording forward of the speaker plane.

So you're right--the mileage varies.

Jim
http://www.geocities.com/jimtranr/index.html

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.