Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

A possible reason

Robert,

Your MCH system is very high quality and probably avoids whatever it is that upsets people about digital. I wonder if the reason for so many still preferring vinyl to SACD is that the output from the LP phono stage presents an easier signal for the pre-amp to handle and is much less likely to push it beyond its capabilities. The dynamic range of LP is lower than SACD and the frequency response is narrower.

I have recently gone back to my ATC SCA2 preamp for the front channels of my MCH system and am intrigued by its 'ease' and greater openness compared to the Krell Showcase pre-processor I use for the MCH sources. Krell, unlike ATC, are secretive about their specifications but I'd guess that overload margins as well as power delivery are behind this difference.

As for Mahler's 'Resurrection' Symphony, I own a rather silly 18 performances, 4 of them on SACD, and for performances that thrill and move me I would hand the palm to either Klemperer and the Philharmonia or to Abbado and the Lucerne Festival Orchestra on DVD Video.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.