Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Great write-up (as usual), Robert...

I ended up getting the Vanska the other day (it was on sale at Virgin) and, while I liked it a lot more than his Beethoven 3rd, I still found in it many of the same qualities that I didn’t like in his 3rd, though to a less objectionable degree. Don’t get me wrong--I liked the Vanska a lot, but I still prefer Haitink’s warmer, more give-and-take approach to the cooler, more ‘precise’ approach of Vanska. ('Romantic' versus 'classical' approaches, as you say.) Indeed, the military-like precision with which Vanska’s orchestra plays makes it seem just a bit aloof by comparison, which is why I didn’t take to his recording of the 3rd. It’s still exciting to hear, however.

I'm convinced that a lot of my extremely positive reaction to the Haitink has to do with how his performance has been recorded--it's got a much more close-up perspective (but not unnaturally so, and certainly not overly dry and claustrophobic as on many of the other LSO Live recordings), and it helps that the timpani are emphasized. That, combined with the tendency for Haitink to ‘lean’ more into the big climaxes, makes for a more exciting and visceral listening experience, at least for me.

Russell

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Great write-up (as usual), Robert... - Russell 20:38:31 12/31/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.