Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Mahler Symphony #2- Fischer-Brief Comments

During the recording and editing process, the discussion came up a number of times about the pauze after the first movement and the break in cd's. Ivan Fischer does not do the pauze during concerts and felt that if a listener at home felt it neccessary, then by all means press the remote. The break for the cd's had again to do with the technical side whether we could get the movements from 2 to 5 on one disc with SACD.
There have been recordings in the past which were getting very close to the limit of data and I was forced to lower the dynamics so that I get it on the disc. I did not want to do any concession on this recording. Even during the recording, I was pulling my hair trying to make it all fit. During the initial rehearsal getting the levels set is one thing, then during the recording they always play louder! Especially the percussion....
A real challenge
So in the end, It was my decision to break after the second movement.

by the way I saw in my earlier email that I should have gone back and corrected a couple of errors- it should read ' the complete data for stereo and multichannel is around 13 gigabits (and not 1).

But please remember, DSD technology is not the same as pcm for knowing what will or not fit on a single disc. There is some work being done however to create a better lossless compression so that we can get more 'minutes' onto a disc.

I read a thread about our Christmas Oratorio. Well I just spent my whole christmas recording and editing the B minor Mass to come out the end of January. Also in cooperation with the Catherijn convent museum here in Holland who supplied the artwork. A very musical Christmas to be sure.

greetings

Jared Sacks

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Mahler Symphony #2- Fischer-Brief Comments - channel 02:49:59 12/28/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.