Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Illuminations / Mingus / Chesky

OK I just checked out your comments on "Illuminations" at SA-CD.net. (I rated it as "helpful") Smile. I share your criticism, to a point, regarding the treble (see below). I can only suggest that you turn the up the volume. I can assure you that Blanchard's trumpet sounds as *real* as any recorded jazz trumpet I have heard.

I know a lot of jazz hounds that really like this disc. They don't place it in the "jazz hall of fame", but it really quenches a jazz thirst for a lot of Tyner devotees. But keep in mind most jazz fans that I know, for the most part, don't judge this album based on sound (although multi-channel definitely ups the ante on this disc), but on performance of the music. I'm staunchly in their corner in finding the musicianship extremely good, not to be faulted, particularly Blanchard.

The only real criticism I have regarding the sound is that it lacks the utmost "sheen" that sometimes I (wrongly) think should always be associated with jazz. But a live performance brings me back to reality on this issue.

Regarding Mingus, I did not suggest that it was derived from the original tapes. What I said was that it probably doesn't matter with this 1954 recording. Do you have this compilation on Fantasy? If not I firmly recommend it or this Membran SACD. I have not compared (and won't) compare the CD with the SACD layer. I just don't think it’s important. The music is classic Mingus and it sounds very good, actually better than most (judged compared to good recordings from the era that I have heard). I have not assessed the multi-channel (obviously simulated like the two channel) but a friend noted that he thought that it made the combo sound "too large".

Regarding the new Chesky SACDs (the New York Sessions that I own) I agree. What do you think about the performances?

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Illuminations / Mingus / Chesky - Robert C. Lang 14:10:11 12/26/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.