Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Ummm....it's not April 1 yet

You've got to be kidding, right? I know opinions can differ widely, but I can't understand how anyone could find Haitink's new 9th lacking in drama, impact, or passion. "Fallen asleep"??? Quite the opposite, I think. I've followed his (recorded) career closely since his heyday with the Concertgebouw back in the 60's, and if anything, he was going steadily downhill and becoming increasingly stodgy and boring since the mid-80's or so. His new Beethoven series finds him completely turned around and revitalized, with energy to burn. As far as the 9th goes, no other version I've heard (and I've heard many) is as forceful or dynamic as this one. I can't remember when I've been more excited over a recording of this symphony. (I should say that I haven't yet heard the much-praised Vanska, though I did hear an excerpt from it on the free CD included with the December Gramophone magazine, and I didn't find it especially convincing.)

I also find the sonics on the Haitink very satisfying--not ideal, perhaps, but much, much better than usual from this source. I like the close-up perspective, and it doesn't sound dry and claustrophobic like other LSO Live recordings. It seems like the engineers have finally found out how to get decent recorded sound from the Barbican!

Russell

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Ummm....it's not April 1 yet - Russell 23:28:32 12/25/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.