Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

LSO-live/Haitink Beethoven 9th SACD

I recently bought Haitink's recording of Beethoven's 9th Symphony on the LSO-live label and I am deeply dissappointed.

I have heard worse, but I expected so much more. Haitink is usually such a wonderful conductor and musician but he seems to have lost his passion. The performance sounded as if the conductor had fallen asleep. It was very underpowered and lacked drama, impact, passion, depth or any point of view. I feel Haitink has done a disservice to Beethoven. If he had nothing (important) to say with Beethoven's Ninth, he should not have recorded it. I know they wanted a complete cycle but this is just a filler.

The SACD sonics were nothing special either. I have heard much better on CD. It's SACD's like this one that do the format a disservice. SACD needs to sound dramatically better than CD to justify it's existence. It can but this SACD fails to show this.

For those who have not yet bought this version of Beethoven's 9th, I say skip it and get the Vanska instead. I will get that one next. The critics are just raving about it right now.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - LSO-live/Haitink Beethoven 9th SACD - layman 17:42:32 12/25/06 (6)

You can not post to an archived thread.