Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Breaking up Mahler 2

Dear Mahler 2nd listeners,

Since this thread has to do with how and why of putting the break between the 2nd and the third movement I would like to put my bit into this.

SACD does not work the same way as a pcm. PCM is indeed the sum of total time that can be put onto a disc. SACD is a DVD technology. That said we can only put on a total amount of data. This is 4.75 gigabits minus some extra metadata. (pq codes and text.
Actually the complete dat for stereo and multichannel can be around 1 gigabits. But the last phase for the authoring is putting the two projects through a sort of 'winzip' which brings the data down to under 4.75.
I was able to get the Mahler 6 to one cd. The Mahler 2nd was just not going to work whatever I did. Especially with the dynamics involved.
I have brought out recordings that are indeed 78 minutes because it was a mozart sonata that just had even dynamics.

I agree that I could very easily have put a extra track in the last movement so that one could easily get to the choral section. Sorry! I too get frustrated with the slow 'fast forward' on sacd players....

There have been some comments about why we did not fill up the cd with more music. Do these people realize the amount of work, energy, money, etc. just to get the 2nd on to disc and then still ask for more because there is room on the disc???

It has been satisfying to see the positive remarks to the performace of the Budapest Festival Orchestra and Ivan Fischer. He has been working with 'his' orchestra for the last 20 years and has truly built this up to be one of the top orchestra today. It has been an honour for me to work with them.

Greetings
Jared Sacks

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Breaking up Mahler 2 - channel 00:29:20 12/25/06 (1)
    • Thank you! - Robert C. Lang 15:12:21 12/25/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.