Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Vanska LvB 9th In Multichannel-quick measurement

I just did a *quick* measurement with the Radio Shack SLM of the front speakers and the rears independent of each other just for the very opening of the finale of the Vanska Beethoven 9th. The front speakers with the rears turned off peaked at 92 decibels. The rears with the front speakers turned off peaked at 78-79 decibels (depending how I pointed the meter). So, there is *measurable* sound from the rears during the first minute or so of the finale.

I can say for sure that there is also *audible* rear channel participation (although minimal for the most part) during the entire disc. I know this because just yesterday I mistakenly started listening with rears turned off. It sounded flat as pancake. I realized the mistake turned on the rears and it sounded much better.

But let me make it patently clear this is *no* Fischer Mahler 2nd with respect to sound quality. This is true even though the "clarity" of the Vanska content is probably in the same league (although not for the choral portion). Comparing the Vanska Beethoven 9th to the Fischer Mahler 2nd with respect to sound quality reaffirms unequivocally that clarity of content is just a small (although important) ingredient to a truly masterful recording. Both recordings may be all-stars but the Fischer is Michael Jordan and the Vanska, perhaps Kevin Garnett. We're talking miles apart.

With respect to the performance of the Vanaska, I can't comment yet because I have had so many false starts in trying to listen to it all the way through. Upon listening to the Fischer Mahler 2nd I was so enthralled with the performance and the sound I got up and *immediately* wrote comments to this forum. My last sentence in that post was "I'm off to listen to my new Vanska Beethoven 9th". Well, that was not quite fair to Vanska, because as they say in show business the Fischer was a "tough act to follow". But then family members came home 2/3 ways through the first movement so I had to shut down. The following day I could only get through the first two movements because frankly was falling asleep mid-performance (because I was tired, not because of the performance). Then yesterday I forgot to turn on the rears. I did finally get all the way through but I really wasn’t in the mood by that time.

I can say that so far it has not "grabbed me" like it has so many other listeners. But I honestly have not judged the performance yet. And who knows under the right conditions the sonics may improve as well.

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.