Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

There's virtually nothing out there that supports 4 5.1/7.1 analog inputs, which is what I need

I ended up using two units - the Sony TA-P9000ES which supports 2 5.1 inputs (1 m-ch input for SA-CD, 1 mch-input for DVD-A) plus a 5.1 bypass input (and a 2ch bypass, which I don't use).

I connect a Cary Cinema 5 processor via the bypass input. The Cary supports two 7.1 analog inputs - one of which is used for the HTPC and the other as a spare for review units. The extra 2 surround back channels are connected directly to a power amp.

Luckily the Sony 5.1 bypass works as a true bypass (ie. it's passive) and operates even with the unit switched off.

I also have a separate 2ch preamp for 2ch sources. This connects directly to the power amps (which are switchable between dual line ins).

I don't know how I will cope with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. I suppose I need to use HDMI, but I need to wait for the format wars to settle first before committing.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • There's virtually nothing out there that supports 4 5.1/7.1 analog inputs, which is what I need - Christine Tham 18:59:51 12/18/06 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.