Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Pinging jimmyjames......

Err?

The Marantz Sa11S1 manual shows a pin config for supposedly a US standard female XLR and a European stnd. female XLR. In the Marantz manual it says US stnd. is pin 3 hot, Euro stnd. pin 2 hot.

Googleing AES/EBU XLR pin assignments shows pin 2 (+). The AES is not necessarily a US stnds agency but the US audio profession widely accepts it's standards. And of course the EBU is the European Braodcast Union.

My Mark Levinson 380S preamp manual says pin 2 positive(+)???.

I would suggest that pin 2 + or hot is the US/AES/EBU american/european stnd.

Another poster a long while ago suggested the Marantz manual was wrong as to the US stnd. and suggested a pin swap on end of each XLR cable to achieve correct polarity. I listened to it both ways and went with the cable pin swap on 1 end of each xlr cable.

If you had an all Marantz reference system as currently manufactured, you would leave the xlr cable ends alone and be correct, I guess. At least that's what the local Marantz dealers say.

If all of the above is correct, then the Marantz (and possibly the Asian standard) is pin 3 hot.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Pinging jimmyjames...... - jimmyjames 19:20:19 12/16/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.