Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Slatkin

Ah. The Slatkin performance is very special to me personally. Years ago after several years of almost force feeding myself on Mahler, tying to "make" myself like that composer, it all "came together" with this performance of the Mahler 2nd. On that day I "found" Mahler! In fact, I remember at the conclusion of my first listening to that piece on my Ohm F speakers driven by a monster SAE amplifier my knees being weak. Seriously.

But that was years ago. And for whatever reason I have not listened to it in years and would not dare comment on the performance except that for me it was superb. I *must* revisit it. So, I have not heard the SACD version.

I do recall that during that era, while I enjoyed Telarc recordings very much I became weary of the overly pronounced bass. I found it way out of proportion to reality, and I *love* bass to this day. The huge bass modules that are part of my system reaffirm this. I can't say for sure if the Slatkin disc fell victim to this malady. But in any event, it is unlikely that the Slatkin *recording* could in any way match the Fischer. The multi-channel alone would be the coup de grace. It simply raises the bar.

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Slatkin - Robert C. Lang 15:36:40 12/16/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.