Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Mahler Symphony #2- Fischer-Brief Comments

Wow! What a staggering performance! It starts off being merely monumental but over 80+ minutes relentlessly ups the ante to astonishing. The only ingredient missing at the end was the applause. And yours truly provided that for Ivan Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra.

Without getting into the nuances of the performance, of which I’m not qualified to do anyway, I have to say (admit) that with Mahler’s 2nd Symphony I’m a outer movement kind of guy. Over the years I have learned to enjoy the inner movements, but the real draw are the unmitigated slams of the outer movement. But with this performance I was riveted throughout. The Andante maestoso (second movement) is done with endearment, concern, and passion. And I did something I have *never* done. I enjoyed a repeat, back to back, of the 4th (soloist) movement. I'm not qualified to say that this movement is definitive but the previous movements really set it up wonderfully.

The orchestral slams were, of course, expected. I am familiar enough with this symphony not to be surprised. But nevertheless be prepared. What you have in store are some of the most awesome, but *cleanly* recorded slams in recorded history (must be). There are some real rim rockers here.

The recording is absolutely first rate by any measure I am familiar with. The soloist and the chorus are vividly recorded and so well placed on the stage. Regarding the multi-channel, Channel Classics has learned or listened to criticism about underutilization of the rear channels. They are still unobtrusive (well almost always) but serve to place this regarding above other multi-channel and two channel SACDs they have done that I am familiar with.

But that brings something else to mind. If I am not mistaken I recall upon hearing this performance live that in at least one movement the trumpets (or brass) was off to the side or even behind the audience. If that was the case that was not audible in the multi-channel presentation. So, apparently all performers in this production were on stage.

Other than that I have two areas of dissatisfaction, neither performance related. I mentioned how drawn I was to the second movement. Well, just as I was *really* getting into the performance the SACD player stops and I have to get up and switch discs. For me that was an unpardonable interruption. I’m fairly certain that the CD layer that cannot readily accommodate more than 80 minutes caused this disruptive split. I wished that this disc were a non-hybrid SACD.

Another thing that would have been nice touch if Channel Classics would have put a “track” in the middle of the last movement where the glorious chorus enters.

But make no mistake about it this is a triumphant performance and recording.

Now off to listen to my new Vanska Beethoven 9th.

Robert C. Lang

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - Mahler Symphony #2- Fischer-Brief Comments - Robert C. Lang 22:37:22 12/15/06 (26)

You can not post to an archived thread.