Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Wilhelm Furtwängler versus Jimi Hendrix

Hi Ramesh - Wilhelm and Jimi Hendrix - interesting matchup. On a business trip to London last February I had a few hours to wander and ended up in the Handel museum, where Handel lived and worked (and composed Messiah). It turns out that Hendrix lived in the adjoining flat (which is now part of the Museum) during his days in London. Maybe Hendrik should have done something with the Hallelujah Chorus.

I'm old enough to have had the chance to hear Hendrix live, although I was not into his music in those days (late 60's). Interestingly, Furtwangler's approach to music was mostly discredited in those days, except for his Wagner and Bruckner, and the heros were Toscanini (still), Karajan, Szell, Solti e.g, much more objective. The general sense of esteem for him has increased tremendously since then, and Toscanini has been eclipsed. I still don't buy his approach to Beethoven, not at all, and think it is more about his frustration about not being a great composer than anything else.

I enjoy your posts on sa-cd.net very much.

Cheers,

Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Wilhelm Furtwängler versus Jimi Hendrix - TGR 10:01:18 12/09/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.