Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: I agree too, but.......

I completely agree with you that when implemented correctly, Redbook CDs can provide truly amazing and very realistic sound. Sadly though, as we all know, this is all too frequently not the case. But then does SACD always provide an improvement? -- again, clearly not. Furthermore, even in situations where the SACD is sonically better to a Redbook version...what are we really comparing it to. Often this may be a prior Redbook issue based on an inferior master or mastering process. It is actually very difficult to compare the RB vs SACD versions of a particular recording, even those included on hybrid discs, since you can never be sure that the two versions come from the same master. Interestingly I have found on several occasions, where both versions are most likely produced from the same master, that I actually prefer the Redbook version over the SACD version, the main reason being that the SACD version, as you put it above, is too dampened, dynamics-wise, and even more disturbingly exhibits some peculiar distortions in the high frequency arena that can be particularly annoying. Given the choice between an excellent Redbook recording (for example, some of the Mapleshade jazz CDs, some XRCDs, and others, especially CDs derived from good analogue tape masters) vs a SACD, I would take the Redbook version anytime. The most serious problem, however, that I see with any of the hi-rez formats - SACD or DVD-A - is the appalling lack of variety with regard to available repertoire, and that is what will eventually doom these formats to either complete disappearance or at best extreme niche status. In fact, I beleive if anything, the appearance of so-called hi-rez digital has revived interest in vinyl, for which there actually is a very well established niche market for new issues, not to say the large number of vinyl available from the past. I personally have not gone the vinyl route, and probably will not in the future, since I have no vinyl and have a 1000+ Redbook CD collection.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: I agree too, but....... - ts 12:47:40 12/06/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.