Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Best SA-CD beats Best RB-CD

I still believe this is the case. The best recorded SA-CD beats the best recorded RB-CD. In the beginning I assume we were all somewhat in awe of the new medium. Fairly simple and cheap SACD players easily showed off the format's capabilities. SA-CD also sparked a sudden increase in quality of regular CD-player's.

But then the SA-CD novelty-factor wore off. The medium matured further. Faults and disappointments became apparent. And I have no doubt that many of us witnessed a socalled 'the emperor has no clothes' effect. Some SA-CD are truly not Super-anything. OTOH, well recorded SA-CD's have opened our eyes to what can be possible. The industry and audiophiles alike actually have a lot to thank SA-CD for.

The inherent qualities of SA-CD have pointed me towards an appreciation for vinyl. I would say that vinyl is a truly hi-rez format and it takes a LOT to better it. I am not yet experienced enough to definitively state that vinyl is better than SA-CD, but I am leaning towards this conclusion. I think I can support the conclusion that it is cheaper, relatively speaking, to achieve true reference quality audio playback with vinyl than with digital. For a few thousand dollars a reference quality vinyl system can be built. It takes multple tens of thousands of dollars to achieve the same with digital.

Jw

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.