Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: I don't understand the debate-SACD sounds way better than CD to me

The September 2006 issue of "Stereophile" has an interesting interview with Steve Harris of Meridian Audio ("The Prime Meridian: Bob Stuart Talks to Steve Harris"). Mr. Harris provides some interesting thoughts on high-resolution media, the capabilities of Redbook CD, and the practices of the corporate music industry.

With regard to the debate, I would say there IS something better about SACD, but I also find that NOT every SACD that I've purchased "sounds better" or engages me more than a "regular" CD. And to my ears, that is the subjective realm in which the difference lies: a difference in level of engagement or presence of the music, something that is probably very difficult to quantify or make general statements about, given the normal range of human hearing ability and discernment. (And SACD players are not all the same, either.)

I just hope we will continue to have some kind of “high resolution” digital audio product. Like Mr. Harris, I certainly don’t buy the idea that the Redbook standard is all that was ever really needed. The CD standard is a twenty-three year-old compromise made so that the music business could put out “digital” music (they could have at least done 24-bit, 96 kHz from the start). Even so, if all SACD means is that a bunch of great old recordings and some new performances have been given good attention by some top-notch recording engineers and thoughtful producers, SACD may be worth the trip.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: I don't understand the debate-SACD sounds way better than CD to me - Deacon Blues 12:15:29 12/02/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.