Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

I agree too, but.......

My opinion....

SACDs are quieter, - dampened. Sometimes too dampened.

There's a LOT to be milked from the Redbook CD medium.

After hearing a few of these latest SOTA players, with a few of these SOTA transports, - like the VRDS-NEO, - I'm convinced that there's still a lot of love left in the redbook medium.

Also, - there's a lot involved in the recording process. I have more than a few great redbook recordings wherein they sound amazing. Unfortunately, - with the exception of "Jazz at the Pawnshop," and the Police, - they do not have SACD counterparts available for a direct comparison. When one does compare "JPS" SACD with the Redbook version, - the Redbook version clearly DESTROYS the SACD version: and I'm not the only one who thinks so. This could be testament to a poor implementation of the SACD recording/transfer/mastering. But the SACD is more recessed and less dynamic and less alive than the redbook... I also feel that way about the Police Hybrid SACD......

I do agree that just about every SACD or DVD-A I have, does sound better than the redbook. Sometimes the original recording is crappy, - like the Simple Minds, - "New Gold Dream." Then, the improvement is noticable, - but it still doesn't sound that great. With the Peter Gabriel SACDs, - sometimes the improvement is very evident, sometimes not. In his case, - he released some redbook remasters that improved the original recordings pretty dramatically.... This could be the case because it's "Rock." And, sadly, I'm forced to admit that rock recordings in general are rarely as good as jazz and classical. Some rock folks are working on this, - but it's way too long in coming.....

Thoughts from above hit the people down below. There are people in this world who have no place to go

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.