Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Classical SACDs at the Top of the Pile, Irrespective of Format

Leaving aside the usual subjectivity caveat (as you say, so what?)and roaming the shelves with BBC, Penguin, and Gramophone sources filed away in the neurological Hard Drive, I would venture to suggest that there is an abundance of recently-recorded classical SACDs which can hold their own even among the most arduous of competition. Indeed, that is precisely why I was prepared to take the hi-rez plunge: with truck-loads of Karajans, Barbirollis, Jochums, Kubeliks etc., etc., I had zero need for a second-rate conductor directing a third-rate orchestra just to elicit a shattering dynamic range and a greatly extended frequency response!!

A mere sample, therefore, arranged by label:
Praga:Tchaikovsky and Bartok Quartets (Parkanyi); Beethoven and Brahms Quartets (Prazak); Haydn and Martinu Quartets (Kocian)

BIS: Bach Cantatas (Suzuki); Grieg Orchestral (Bergen/Ruud)

Hyperion: Almost anything by Robert King and King's Consort.

Telarc: Mozart Requiem (Atlanta/Runnicles); Nielsen #5 Cincinnati/Jarvi); Vaughan Williams #1 (Atlanta/Spano); Bach Suites (Boston B/Pearlman)

Linn: Shostakovitch #11 (Scottish/Lazarev); Britten Orchestral (Gould); Almost anything by Palladian Ensemble.

Channel: Beethoven 'Cello Sonatas (Wispelwey); Britten 'Cello Suites (Wispelwey); Vivaldi Op.4 (Podger); Ravel Piano Works (Lazic).

Alia Vox: Anything!! (i.e. Jordi Savall)

Pentatone: Schmidt #4 (Kreizberg); Prokofiev and Glazunov Violin Concertos (Fischer/Kreizberg); Stravinsky Dumbarton Oaks etc. (Jarvi)

Polygram/Universal: Bartok Duke Bluebeard (Fischer); Shostakovitch #7 (Gergiev); Tchaikovsky #6 (Gergiev); Mozart Piano Sonatas (Brendel); Mahler #9 (Chaiily); Lully Orchestral (Goebel); Rameau Orchestral (Minkowski)

Sony: Almost anything by Midori and Murray Perahia!!

And there's plenty more where these came from--not bad for a format just up and running and which gets many of its plaudits for reissues of Szell, Reiner, Dorati, Munch, Monteux etc.!!!

Good talkin' to ya, John.

P.S. Just seen your 'Membran Jazz' post. A rather more informed and detailed reply in the works!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.