Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Chopin on SACD

The Rubinstein ballades and scherzos are some of his greatest stereo performances. Last month I acquired the Universal Japan Ashkenazy stereo SACD of the ballades and scherzos. These are not his 1980s digital recordings but his 1960s ones. The ballades, like the Rubinstein SACD, show the age of the master tapes, although they are still good recordings. The recordings as well as the interpretations of Ashkenazy's scherzi is really very fine. His performances are volatile, with greater technical ability than the aging Rubinstein in the scherzi, albeit with his characteristic metallic fortissimos. I have posted a review of the Rubinstein concertos on sa-cd.net.

There are actually two Perahia SACDs of Chopin. From Sony Japan is the Chopin recital he recorded in the early 1990s, stereo only, including the ballades. You can read the reviews on gramophone.co.uk of the original release. There is more detail on the SACD, so I suspect it is a 20 bit original recording. Well worth getting.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Chopin on SACD - Ramesh 19:35:05 11/28/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.