Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Yes, this is one of the reasons why I left SACD, but I may be coming back

A couple of things tipped the boat for me:

1) A significant number of Classical labels were newly recording in PCM and then converting to SACD. The idea of owning a SACD player just to hear "converted" PCM pissed me off. What an expensive and silly long walk around the block.

2) Ordering from overseas for many items was just too expensive
3) (No fault of the well-meaning companies that kindly adopted SACD), how long would it take for definitive Classical recordings to show up on SACD?
4) I don't want to get into a format argument, but I discovered the best way to get "analog-like" sound was to go to the source: vinyl. (Several qualifications: a record cleaning machine of some sort is a must, EMI/Decca/London/early RCA and Mercury pressings and recordings--millions of them floating around--are for the most part small miracles of recorded sound, Philips and DG to a lesser extent, and here definitive performances abound.) After a year and a half I have absolutely no regrets.)

I've literally not visited SA-CD.net in a year until a couple of weeks ago, and I'm delighted to see vast numbers of new titles from all different kinds of labels that have tweeked my interest again. A cursory look at new DVDA titles that have come out in the mean time--at least Classical--has made the format beyond irrelevant for me at this point. No offense, but I just can't gather the time nor the curiosity or strength to hear Marin Alsop's interpretations of Brahms. Sorry. In warmed over Naxos PCM no less, converted to SACD.)

Ivan Fischer's Mahler 2nd is on it's way, it will be heard in 2 channel stereo.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.