Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Beethoven 4, 5, 3, 8

Osmo Vanska's interpretations are generally first-rate. While I won't say that they beat out any of the greats of the past such as Szell, Toscanini, Walter, etc., they hold their own very well. I have returned to this discs several times since acquiring them.

The orchestral playing is perhaps the real star here--very energetic and precise. What a feather in the cap of the Minnesota Orchestra to have landed this recording contract, and what a wonderful showcase it is for them.

They take every adavantage of the opportunity. For example, the string playing is phenomenal--it's quite amazing to hear 16th note passages played so unanimously by the violins--you can hear every note clearly. Lots of heft and impact to the overall ensemble sound, but I could use more prominence from the trumpets at times. The horn playing is superb--you won't hear a better rendition of the trio of the Eroica, for example. The woodwinds are excellent, especially John Miller's solo in the fourth movement of the Fourth. Clean as a whistle. The solo clarinet is excellent, as well. The solo oboe is only average, however.

The recorded sound is beyond reproach. I'm listening to the SACD layer in 2-channel only, but the strings sound very smooth. There's lots of detail and hall ambience--a very realistic approach to recording. Critics has complained about some of the pp passages in the Eroica being nearly inaudible, so be sure to have the level turned up sufficiently so these don't drop out.

The most successful symphonies so far have been the Fourth, Fifth, Third and Eighth (in that order), with the Ninth being somewhat less convincing, due to the barely adequate solo quartet in the last movement. But then, I'm not a big fan of this movement, so it's not a great loss for me.

Hope this helps.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.