Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Amazingly, you are absolutely right

It amazes me that most software companies can make a very profitable living selling across the net but the record companies are clueless.

Apple makes record profits with i-tunes and Sony's answer is to put rootkit trojans on their customer's computers. Like you, I buy my software over the net and when I purchased a new computer, I transferred it over with no problems. The bottom line is that this is a solved problem. You can make money selling music over the web. The record companies just haven't figured it out yet.

Once a company becomes a large cap institution, changing course is like turning a super-tanker on a dime. It's very difficult to do and many fail. Just look at GM and Ford, failing while Toyota sells more expensive cars AND grabs increasing market share. Kodak owned the film business. But they didn't see the digital revolution coming and will never be a major player again.

The record companies have a lot of assets and sooner or later they might actually figure it out. But meanwhile, business abhors a vacuum and more nimble companies will step in to grab their market share. Apple already has. Micro$oft definitely sees an opening here. They need more products to grow significantly and they can match any record companies dollar for dollar. Look what Walmart did to the supermarket industry. Micro$oft could do the same.

BTW where audio goes DVD-V's follow. The film studios need to think about the transition as well, which they are not.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.