Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

CD and SACD

It is very easy to compare red book and SACD sound using hybrid disks. Whenever I did such comparisons, SACD was always clear winner. I am speaking of purely acoustic music.

For music created elecronically, SACD indeed does not add much on top of what regular CD can do, unless a band wants surround effects as a part of presentation.

I agree that not all SACDs are equally good. Particularly, I dislike DG mixing. But it was the same bad on their CDs and LPs as well.

I don't think SACD will become extinct in the near future. First, sound quality of SACD hardly needs any improvement. Second, the format is well established now, and for a sizeable group of people who appreciate it, there is no way back. These folks will create a sustainable demand, which, if not met by major labels, will be met by minor manufacturers. Third, downloads of classical music, although available, just don't appeal to consumers, and it is not going to change anytime soon.

One should not heap everything in one pile. SACD is a future of classical, jazz and other kinds of acoustic music. Ipods and downloads is a future of pop/rock.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.