Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

I think you are right...

The Hi Rez formats weren't profitable enough for the big companies due to "consumer indifference" among those that buy CDs (or LPs for that matter). It is unclear that the folks who buy CDs/LPs will embrace either digital downloads or the "keep it on a hard drive" approach. The MP3 crowd is NOT THE SAME as the audiophile crowd. Liner notes and artwork DO MATTER. Also, I think the attractiveness of a "home music library" (as with physical books, to your point) cannot be underestimated. There is something very fundamental in the human psyche with regard to the "collector mentality". "A Gentle Madness" as one book title calls it!:-) Personally, I like to "handle the media"...peruse the library, pull out recordings and read their exact contents, contemplate my options, put the recording in the player, settle in and crack the liner notes (a "little book"). Hey, it could just be me -- but I don't thinks so.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.