Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: 5 channel amplifier

Coming a bit 'closer to earth', in my case, when I went multichannel for SACD & DVD-A, my main goal was to have power amplification totally separate from everything else. However, I did not want to split it up yet further by having a power amp for each channel (and all the additional cables that result).

To that end, I seriously evaluated the 5-channel Bryston 9BSST mentioned above, but then I also auditioned the Rotel RMB-1075 (five channels @ 120W RMS each into 8ohms / 200W into 4 ohms) and RMB-1095 (five channels @ 200W RMS each into 8 ohms).

To my surprise, in terms of sound quality, a broken-in Rotel is not far behind the Bryston, and in some ways, even more musical (I think Brystons are quite "dry" sounding).

b.t.w. Brystons are already 'burned-in' at the factory, whereas Rotels are 'virgin' when you buy them -- which I personally prefer as I can let the amp 'grow' with me.

The Rotel also has a very clean and pretty much unlimited freq-response bandwidth, and lots of continuous current capability, which is good for hirez.

I also thought the Bryston was more bulky and looked quite ugly in comparison to the Rotel. Bryston is also twice the price of Rotel, so I went with the Rotel.

Now three years later, I haven't regretted my choice one bit. Also, Rotel's tech suport was first class when I had an small issue with the power switch.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: 5 channel amplifier - Martin419 07:01:55 11/09/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.