Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Yep, I've got them

Howdy

Well, The Goldsmith definitely falls in the rears are invisible until proven otherwise category.

"Land of Giants" is fuller and obviously has been mastered to have instruments showing up in a very wide soundstage, i.e. in the first cut the vibraphone is almost directly to the right.

"Triangulo" is more like the Goldsmith, a traditional presentation, I don't hear the rears unless I mute the fronts or turn my head quite a bit, tho they really do make for a immersive soundstage.

These three would only cause me to reinforce what I was saying. They all sound "correct" with no changes in level. I.e. to me they sound like I believe the masterer built them to sound with no fooling around on my part.

If you don't like aggressive mixes you'll be missing a lot of the music if you attempt to transform them into traditional mixes by lowering the volume of your rears. Take Hiromi for example, her stuff has a lot of full range material coming exclusively from the rears.

The only time I'm ever tempted to mess with levels is when the sub (6th SACD channel) is a little too loud for my tastes on some discs.

-Ted

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.