Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Heads-up MCH discs require a little tweaking on the rear channels

Allthough I consider Heads-up one of my two favorite labels (the other is Chesky), they sometimes get a bit aggressive in the MCH mix. No problem, my Classe has a "trim" function and I just slightly reduce the volume to the rears when I play those discs. IMO Chesky probably does MCH better than anyone. The Chesky discs sound great in MCH.

Interestingly Sony takes a very conservative approach. When I listen to KOB I raise the volume to the rears slighly.

Having said all that, percieved MCH volume can depend a lot on the room and speaker placement. My right rear speaker has a slightly greater percieved volume when the numbers say both rears should be the same. I suspect that since that speaker is near a corner, certain frequencies are are preferientally enhanced relative to others. My hearing is probably more sensitive to those frequencies. As a result I keep the volume on this speaker slightly lower than than I do for the left rear. YMMV

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Heads-up MCH discs require a little tweaking on the rear channels - Pacman 19:24:01 11/04/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.