Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

I know that I'm surprised

by the level of quality that I'm getting out my/our server based ITunes digital delivery system.

Some of the things that they're doing at Empirical Audio with their USB to SPDIF converter boxes; and, some of the things that Gordon Rankin is doing at Wavelength with USB based DACs are really interesting and, IMO, deliver a really high level of quality and convenience.

In my case, - my downstairs neighbor and I have over 900 redbook CDs dumped to a 2 terabit file server in our basement that delivers any Apple Lossless song to any of 4 different IBooks located around our building, and to a system outside on our deck. When music is played through my IBook into my APL, - using the AKM DACs, - I can detect a little wee bit more fullness and a little wee bit less detail than the CD: which I can switch back and forth on the fly. I have to listen very carefully to detect the difference.

Audiophiles and non-audiophiles are often both impressed. I haven't dumped too many redbook CDs, - but I'm going to start to pull those CDs that have only one or two songs that I like. This methodology gives me the opportunity to buy more CDs than I normally would be able to. I also find that I can still have music on when I'm busy doing other things and/or too involved to get up and change out the CD every hour; or for parties...

Now that Squeezebox is utilizing AKM DACs, - there's another huge reason to explore a wonderful multi-room music solution.... Every single format has its faults. Recording, and mastering have their faults.. But if digital delivery improves just a little bit more, it'll provide one with the options that other media cannot touch.

With your feet on the air and your head on the ground, try this trick and spin it, your head'll collapse if there's nothing in it then you'll ask yourself, where is my mind?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.