Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Incompatibility SACD surround with stereo SACD player

Several months ago, I bought a Handel Wassemusik Suiten nr. 1-3 by PHILIPS Classics Eloquence SACD Surround/CD Audio.
With my previous player, a Marantz SA17-S1, I had problems: "NO DISC" on display, consequently no working. It was always impossible to read the CD layer, too. Differently, on a Philips DVD720SA player no problem, but it is impossible to select the "CD layer" from the menu on screen.
I wrote to Emil Berliner Studios, responsible of the project of the new low cost SACD discs by Universal Classics. They wanted me to send them the disc to analize possible defect. After a couple of weeks they declared the disc as perfect, giving the fault to my Marantz player, classified as "old". I obtained a new disc from they but the "NO DISC" on my SA17S1 continued.
In the last days I tried the Sony SCD-1 player of a friend and in spite of no problem with other discs my Marantz never read, like Mahler's 4th by M.Tilson Thomas (San Francisco Symphony) SACD, the SACD Surround by PHILIPS blocked the player with "NO DISC" on display. The CD layer was possible to read but after a couple of minutes the player started to give a strong "hum", listenable on loudspeakers.
With a renewed curiosity I put again the disc on my Philips DVD720SA that regularly read it, and I went on screen menu to see if it was possible to select "2 channels" and "Multichannel" layers in the same way of all others "Hybrid disc" I have in my large collection.
I think I have now the solution: the SACD Surround discs from Eloquence Series by Philips Classics haven't the SACD 2 channels layer at all, blocking the possibility for the owners of 2 channels SACD player to read it.
I ask to you: this kind of discs is compatible with Scarlet Book of SACD standard?
I think that Philips Classics and other companies that produce this kind of product have to advice the customer about the possibility some player don't read it at all.
We are in the similar conditions of "Copy protected CD", some kind of product not exactly compatible with Red Book, not a real CD at all.
The Eloquence SACD Surround by Universal Classics are not compatible with SACD standard?
Some comments, please.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Incompatibility SACD surround with stereo SACD player - Perigo 03:55:35 10/23/06 (7)

You can not post to an archived thread.