Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

further suggestion for classical fans

If you haven't already, check out "LSO Live" -- the online outlet of the London Symphony Orchestra. They have been releasing live recordings of the orchestra in RBCD and now in SACD, many of which are engineered by Tony Faulkner, who is one of the best.

Not long ago, I bought their recording of Verdi's opera "Falstaff." While I'm not enough of an opera aficionado to judge the performance, I will tell that the recording is terrific. Really stunning dynamic range, very precise location of the singers in 3-dimensional space, incrdibly deep, but well-damped bass . . . all without the "steeliness" or nasty highs that so often afflicts RBCD recordings.

I think this really does give you a better sense of what the SACD medium is capable of. I have some of the "Living Stereo" re-releases and, to my ears, all that SACD does is allows you to hear the limitations of 40-year old analog tape technology. Yes, it is free of the nasties that often comes with digital; but its far from perfect, IMHO.

For one thing, it would be rare to find a mainstream vinyl record with this kind of dynamic range recorded on it. The medium could probably deliver it, but it would tax the limits of all but the best arm/cartridge setups.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • further suggestion for classical fans - Bruce from DC 14:15:46 10/20/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.