Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Tower Records Store Closing Sale in Chicago

Just a note for Chicago-area forum members in case they missed it: check out Tower Records' going out of business sale at the South Wabash St. store (and presumably at the Lincoln Park store on North Clark St., too.) I guess there is nothing like a direct advertising approach: I learned about it when I saw a guy on a street corner several blocks away holding a sign announcing "Tower Closing - 30% Off."

The "30% Off" turned out to be a classic bait-and-switch, however, because when I arrived at the store, I found that DVDs and CDs/SACDs were only 10% off. The only items I noticed at 30% off were the music and celebrity magazines. A guy working in the store said that the discount may get sweeter later on, however, as the liquidation progresses.

They do have SACDs, fo course, although this store never had the most complete SACD collection. SACDs are stored in the regular racks and are not segregated, so be prepared to browse.

With all the nostalgia arising from my memories of shopping there over the years (both at Tower and its predecessor, Rose Records)--and just because I prefer to shop in stores--I'll be very sad to see them go.

For the background, here's a link to the Washington Post story on Tower's demise:

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Tower Records Store Closing Sale in Chicago - Deacon Blues 12:12:10 10/16/06 (34)

You can not post to an archived thread.