Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

remote control

the "universal remote control" is actually my pda, an asus a730w. currently, it's only acting as a remote control for the HTPC, but i'm planning on making it a universal remote control for all my equipment. it communicates to the HTPC via TCP/IP over Wi-Fi, and there's a program called MCE Controller that simulates the MCE2005 remote control when you open a socket to it and send text like "play". there's also a plug in that drives Windows Media Player bi-directionally - ie. i can view all the albums i've ripped onto the hard drive on the screen of the PDA, and point and click which album and/or track i want to listen to, and it provides status information (like time elapsed) back to the PDA. Very neat!!!

i've also got a program which turns the PDA into a keyboard/mouse for the HTPC. Finally, if i'm really desperate, i can run the terminal server client on the PDA and drive the HTPC UI directly on the PDA (it has a VGA screen).

In order to make it into a universal remote control, i can buy the commercial version of NetRemote which will drive the IR port on the PDA, or else install an IR transmitter on the HTPC and use NetRemote to drive a program like Hip or Girder on the HTPC which will then blast the IR codes to the equipment rack. Unfortunately, this method, although very cool, requires the PC to be turned on which kind of defeats the purpose.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • remote control - Christine Tham 14:31:27 08/07/05 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.