Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Tunenut - I've tried; but am still willing...

... Yes, I'm a "20-something"; but please don't think that I shun Classical and Jazz just because it's older. Not at all.

I have trouble with the 'accessibility' of Classical and Jazz: as in, I really don't know what to look for -- Music is supposed to emotionally affect you, right?

I've taken some random shots at the genres; put in a disc, and have just, try as I might, failed to have been 'moved' at all by what came out of the speakers.

They've left me with a feeling of, "Oh, this must be for folks who want to analyze their system..." rather than be touched by the music. (Hold on before you criticize!)

Now I would concur that perhaps I simply do not know what recordings to look for. Or perhaps I'm just not educated in the qualities and nuances of classical and jazz. (I admit, I am not.)

Perhaps I need to sit down with an afficionado of both genres and get a bit of schooling; I'm open to that!

But in the long run, music either 'does it for you' or does not. Isn't that what it's all about?

I'd love to be able to get into more hi-rez recordings. Maybe at some point I'll figure it out with classical and jazz. I just need to meet someone who's willing to help me on that front, share what they like about it, versus ridiculing my 'lack of culture'. Until that time:

.... I have to admit, Oct/Nov./Dec of 04 was my biggest SACD buying spree, ever! With the Clapton, Elton John, Keane, NIN,Mark Knopfler, (and I'm sure there were more) - it felt like things were going well.

But I do kind of feel, nonetheless, that this was a bit of a swan song for the format, at least for the pop/rock genre.

I *firmly* believe that UMG is out of the game; unceremoniously. I don't think they're even going to let us know.

Sony, who has always been on some sort of psychedelic compound in their choice of SACD releases has equally as strangely, given up.

I think the majors are seeing hi-rez releases as counter to their interest in the long run. The high quality analog outputs are out there, encryption and watermarking or not. They don't want to give away the master tapes. CD is already "too much with too little" for the average Joe.

... Unfortunately I'm involved in the 'lossy' industry a bit, and that's the future. Hi-rez doesn't fit into the iPod plan.

I think we'll see a slight resurgence of "hi rez", in a way, down the road, as 96/24 AAC, (still lossy, however.)

Meanwhile, I'm getting my hands on a Tascam DV-RA1000 - if I can. (So far, that keeps getting pushed back, as well. Nobody has seen one yet.)

I *was* in contact with Philips about SACD authoring facilities and software regarding the recordings I do, but they mysteriously stopped responding. (I thought it was just the new years holiday - but it's a bit late for that now.)

All we can do is hold on and see. But the unanimity on this board has never been so strong in its doomsaying conjecture. We used to have a few squawks here and there; now, unfortunately, we almost have a unified chorus singing SACD's final dirge.

I just wish someone who knows one way or another would throw us a bone. If they want to forget about the audiophile/hi rez community, there isn't much we can do about that. But they could, at least, say goodbye.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.