Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Interesting Hi-Res (especially SACD) article in EQ magazine.

As an owner of a small private studio, and a fan of SACD, I think the advances this year do bode well for SACD. I don't know how usable some of the products you have noted above will be, but I do think the "public" introduction of the Sony Sonoma products in 8 channel incremented multichannel recording format with high quality plugins will be the ticket. While it is presently on the spendy side for a 24 track system with all of the Meitner gear included, $59K or so for a full DSD system that can do 7.1 is really appealing to larger studios. I expect the price will come down in time.

As much as most studios looking at DSD would like Pro-Tools to record in DSD it doesn't. I think for anyone serious about DSD, the Pro-Tools system is not going to be of serious use because the plug in only converts PCM tracks from pro-tools into DSD which isn't going to sound as good as DSD. Since Pro-tools is so dominant in studios ranging from basement quality to world class, full implementation of DSD into pro-tools would be the thing to watch for as far as wide spread implementation. At least that is my take on it.

I still do not think that the other systems (which may have excellent recording capability) do not have the editing capabilities that studios seek for pop or rock type music where multitracking is prevalent, and effects are essentially required by labels and much of the public. Plus a couple of these systems are Windows based, which many studios and engineers (including our own) stay away from because they tend to crash after hours of work.

So, I think once the Sonoma Work station prices come down, or Pro-tools implements a full DSD system you will see a lot more SACD product from smaller studios or individual artists. I think that the good news is that companies are developing the products to get us there, which indicates they believe there is a future for SACD.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.