Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Good point...

I can't find the reference in the (incredibly complicated) handbook but I think I read somewhere that the bass management and speaker distance settings are both in DSD mode, presumably using the Sony chipsets.

Funny you should mention that. I remember reading the exact same thing somewhere too, but I can't remember where. It might have been in these forums. I downloaded the user's manual before posting my previous message and couldn't find anything one way or the other. I ended up just assuming that it converted DSD to PCM. This bugged me, so I went and looked again at the Denon site. I've pasted the link below. In that description, it says the following:

Full Digital Bass Management for DVD-Audio/SACD (optional), featuring dual Analog Devices Melody 100 'HammerHead' processors (DSD signals are converted to PCM)

Even so, the bass management features are much better for the Denon than the Onkyo for both SACD and DVD-A. Of course for the speaker distance setting with SACD there's no contest, as this setting does nothing on the Onkyo with SACD.

I only wish I had room in my apartment for a MCH setup! I'm two-channel only at the moment.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.