Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: First impression of the APL SACD 1000

Hi Lou,

The digital receiver board allows input of a PCM signal up to 24bit/192kHz to the new Crystal CS4398-based DAC board. So the modified SACD 1000 can also serve as a DAC for an external PCM source.

Since the new DAC board also has switchable, non-decimating volume control, conceivably a person with a digital-only front end could use the unit as a DAC, switch between two digital sources, and control volume, thus dispensing with a preamp.

Good vinyl is still my preferred source (though not by as wide a margin as before), so I'll probably not bypass my Steelhead or plug and unplug the SACD 1000 and 'head from my amps on a regular basis, but in the near future I will be trying the Philips directly into the amplifiers to see what kind of difference that makes.

Cost of the modifications -- Alex's "basic" SACD mod consisting of mods to power supplies and transformers, tube output stage, clock circuitry, and basic capacitors; new CS4398 DAC; digital receiver board; and more extensive capacitor replacement -- was on the order of $2500, exclusive of the player, IIRC (I don't have my laptop with our correspondence with me here at work). I had a used stock SACD 1000, bought at the time of the Tweeter's blow-out sale, but as a second or third owner, have no return rights with Philips. Only a bit over $400 for the unit, though.

Since the DAC and receiver boards and many of the parts are "transferrable" to the Denons that APL currently modifies, and I had a dead SACD 1000 on my hands, I decided to go this way. As opposed to Philips' so-called service centers, Alex knows what he is doing and guarantees his repairs and modifications, so I am pretty comfortable having the SACD 1000 in the system.

I had the opportunity for a little more listening last night, and I am even more pleased with the improvements in the SACD 1000 sound. On SACD and redbook, it is by far the best digital playback I've heard.

Best regards,

Steve Z

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.