Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Help me out here: stoopid AC polarity question

Thanks for the advice. I feel I may be lucky in one respect: I had the SCD-1 plugged into a power strip (accidentally left there) that I firmly believe inverts polarity; when I plugged the SCD-1 back directly into the wall outlet, the sound improved tremendously. This leads me to believe the polarity of the strip may be "correct" and the wall outlet may reverse polarity (assuming that's how the SCD-1 MUST be plugged in order to sound better).

Anyway, the SCD-1 now sounds tremendous, used as follows: moved closer to the middle of the top shelf of my rack, so as to be more isolated from vibration; plugged directly into the wall outlet; and set to filter number "2" permanently. Highs are easy--non-digital--and feathery-delicate, sweet, and extended.

I can easily see how someone can feel the SCD-1 in its stock form is less than ideal, but I've found--as have others here, apparently--that if you pay attention to some of the "small" things, you can significantly improve performance to the point where the unit becomes really beautiful-sounding. I've been thrilled with it for more than a month now, and have been playing CD's nonstop (after abandoning them for LP's for a long time). I even placed a large (and expensive) order for xrcd's on the basis of the SCD-1's improved sound--that's how much confidence I have in what I accomplshed with it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.