Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Naxos Vivaldi Four Season - a Problem

This CD/SACD has always sounded too abrasive to me. Some reviewers choose to use this for assessing SACD players. The recording is stated as 2496 in 5 channels.

I ripped the cd layer and did a spectral analysis using Cool Edit Pro 2. Throughout and inclusing the silent passages is a strong (up to 20dB) spike at 15730 Hz, with lower spikes surrounding it between 15kHz and 16 kHz like a jitter spread spectrum!

I removed a lot of it using the narrow filter and an FFT filter sentred at 15730 Hz and the disc now sounds much less fierce in the hf and more natural. The 15kHz spike looks almost like a filter signature with 32 kHz sampling!

I have done the same analyses with Classic DAD 2496 discs which have 44KHz spikes and Pioneer 2496 discs with noise shaping type of hf noise rising from about 22kHz.

Applying very narrow filters to the Classic discs improved the sound but lf filter for the Pioneer discs make them sound less transparent!

It seems that hirez discs have not been properly or carefully mastered and it is worrying that reviewers use them as references.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Naxos Vivaldi Four Season - a Problem - fmak 08:53:40 12/23/04 (5)

You can not post to an archived thread.