Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

I agree with Jazz Inmate.

Performance is a 10/10. If you've only listened to Yo-Yo Ma's "Inspired by Bach" (essentially a movie score treatment) you don't know what you're missing. This Starker set is the real deal - inspired Bach, sans the "by". There's passion in his playing, but it's tempered by restraint, unlike the Yo Yo Ma which sometimes hits the mark only to collapse into schmaltz. In my opinion, Starker's performance is artistically and technically brilliant start to finish. If you accept his general approach to the works, you never seem to question the choices he makes. The net result is that if you listen attentively, you will be moved, and understand the difference between music and Music. I can think of only a handful of recordings that have this same effect on me. Of course, as always, YMMV. But people had been paying upwards of $400 for this recording on lp (part of that because the original CD release was horrible). That must mean that at least a few others regard it as highly as I do.

Sonically, I'll give it 9/10. It's excellent - lively and detailed, yet natural sounding. The only flaw is a persistent low rumble throughout that may or may not bother you. It's almost like listening to an lp on a poorly damped turntable.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I agree with Jazz Inmate. - Dalton 19:19:40 12/21/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.