Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: LSO Live Shostakovich 11th

Russell,

The SACD is better in terms of dynamics and I suppose that the rear channels open it up a bit. I think one has to accept Rostropovich's inner view of the 11th, tempos and all, as a sort of solemn memory of DS himself. I recollect he was almost in tears at the end of the Barbican performance. Have another go at it, its only £8.99 !

As for MTT, no I didn't. But I too have a memory of a great 11th, but from the Bournemouth Symphony conducted, due to Paavo Berglund's sickness on the night, by George Hurst, here in Portsmouth at the Guildhall back in the late 70's or early 80's. I still reckon that was one of the most exciting and mind-blowing experiences in 45 years concert-going. The old EMI CD is a good reminder. Done well, the 11th is, as you say, devastating. I'll say this, the bell at the very end, in the LSO SACD, is a stunner for sheer raucousness, and R makes the audience stay silent until the whole enormous clamour, undamped tam-tam and all, fades to silence.

Dave

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: LSO Live Shostakovich 11th - Dave Billinge 12:32:56 12/21/04 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.