Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Could you clarify exactly what the "4.5" includes?

>Warren is now modding my SCD-1 with the Level 4 mods. I read somewhere that the ".5" includes a replacement clock for Sony's stock clock used in the SCD-1.<

Actually not. As previosly mentioned here in Hi-Rez, and based on a suggestion from FMAK posted here, we found that the original SONY clock used in the SCD-1/777ES gave better sonics than our replacement TENT clock - when the SONY clock is powered from a very special low noise 5 volt powersupply.

This would indicate to us that:

1/ very low frequency noise in the clock powersupply is a major factor in causing audible jitter effects.

2/ Having the clock VERY physically close to the relevant clock accepting chips also minimises jitter and other artifacts.

Level "4.5" uses the Level 4 signal processing module (without the TENT clock), but with this extra special 5V supply that replaces the junk 3 pin 5V regulator that SONY use to power their clock.

>Since my SCD-1 has already been modified with the Super Clock II and its dedicated power supply which Warren will keep, will I have the complete 4.5 upgrade?<

No - because with the SuperClock already installed the ".5" part will be redundant - at least it should be as the SuperClock is claimed to solve the same problems that our ".5" does - and from their promotion and pricing, one hopes it does!

I have only ever had one SuperClock through my own workshop, and that was over a year ago - so I cannot comment on it's performance vis a vis the ".5", but Warren will have a better feeling for it and can counsel you on retaining the SuperClock, or if it doesn't make the grade, offering another solution.

I'm certain that he will provide you with the very best Upgrade option possible in your SCD-1, otherwise he wouldn't be my agent!

Allen

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.