Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Good question. You do me a favor when you ask

me to subject my beliefs to more scrutiny. IMO.

Ok-the Sony 595 needed to be tamed, it sounded good, with lots of dynamic range of course, and voices having that timber of real voices, but it had some sort of high end fatiguing. Until I lopped off the treble with my treble knob on my preamp, the Sony was too bright. This with Maggies 1.6 that already have a high end roll-off. That alteration did get me a very LP like sound balance. That I loved. Then the 595 got drop outs.

The Philips is MUCH flatter. I can turn the treble back up, no problem. A flat sound that feels slightly clinical, but I would bet on an oscilloscope, flat out correct.
Right now I am listening to "Drive" by Russ Freeman. (redbook. So shoot me!:-( ) It has a trumpet, Chris Botti style. All I hear is trumpet, no high end irritants, not just a note from an indistinguishable brass instrument. But a trumpet with no artifacts. NO fatigue, and I fidn trumpets the most fatiguing instrument in SACD land.
Any question in particular I could answer?

Some may be from the improvemtn of my new preamp, form the Cary to the McItnosh. The Sony sunded good, this sounds fine and dandy, redbook or SACD.

BTW, I went to BB, to buy one of eveything, there was nothing I didn't already have, that I wanted. No Layla, no new Jarvi's. No Merc or RCA's. Racks were almost stipped bare.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.