Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

no cop-out

I'm not even sure what that means. I am always very careful to avoid generalizations about formats myself, when other people do that, it drives me up a wall. But I enjoy reading about all kinds of comparisons. I enjoy it infinitely more than 90% of the ruckus that goes on here. I've got two SACD players now and if you want me to generalize, I could say SACD sounds worse than SACD. But in reality, my cheap player sounds much worse than my "real" player. This is important insofar as my cheap player has been reputed to be a giant killer and it's not IMO. A single data point test has nothing at all to do with science, but some people are interested in such things.

Here is why these comparisons matter to me. I spend money on software. Bach's cello sonatas on Mercury are coming out in the U.S. today on SACD. I already have them in various other forms. Of course I will buy them. But they are also out on a vinyl reissue on Speaker's Corner. Had I convinced myself that the Bartok SACD was competitive with the 45 RPM LP, I could easily pass up the $85 Speaker's Corner LP set. But now, I realize I need to have it.

Someday hardware may come along that brings this SACD to parity with the LP or beyond. That would be great. But until then, I've got the LP. Unlike many people apparently, playing an LP is trivially easy for me, I've been doing it for years, it is marginally more difficult than playing a digital disk, but luckily I am not yet an invalid and I am able to manage it without undue stress.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • no cop-out - tunenut 10:12:54 10/12/04 (2)

You can not post to an archived thread.