Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: Munch: Saint-Saens Organ Symphony shoot-out--SACD vs. LP vs. open-reel tape

Thanks for confirming my own assessments about these and, dare I say it? the majority of transfers from analog to SACD that I have personally auditioned.

My reaction to many (most) of these is from a different perspective, though, than the digiphiles who regard each and every new SACD release as the second coming. Knowing that transfers to SACD from analog can be quite convincing — products from Opus 3, Proprius, FIM, GrooveNote and, to a far lesser extent, Audio Fidelity, have largely demonstrated this — I am almost certain that the most central problem is the methodology and not format transition. Ergo, the blame can be placed squarely on the engineers who haven't a clue how these recordings SHOULD sound; there isn't much inititiative to find out how they should sound either.

I haven't bothered to compare this SACD to my copy of the Classic Records vinyl since it was demonstrated to me a few years back that an original pressing can set this on its behind quite handily.

Moreover, the claims that the source of the SACD is a newly discovered tape that, apparently, had not been used in earlier releases would have me thinking that this would be something like comparing tangerines to satsumas. Curiosity got the best of me, though, so I extracted the second and fourth movements of the CD layer of the SACD and the previously available CD, burned them onto a CDR then played them in random order (using the random play button on the player) just to get a sense of what might be different, and different they are.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.