Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Re: The tape is probably much better than you think

Yes, you and the other member who commented on this certainly may have somethiing. The vast majority of tapes I play on the ReVox (a well-maintained and sparingly-used late Dolby B model), however, do sound excellent, so I felt fairly secure in making the comparison.

I was in fact prepared to crown the open-reel tape king before the party began...I'm an open-reel lover from way back, and in fact my audiophile aspirations came from my dad, who had a nice tubed Ampex back in the early '60s. I still own all his tapes, and consider them the crown jewels of my collection--the operas especially. And whenever anyone asks for opera recommendations, I'm usually quick to point out that the open reel "sounds best"--even if they can't get it or play it!

Right before hearing the Saint-Saens, I listened to my reels of the Beecham Carmen. They sounded stunning, but surface noise aside...the original Capitol LPs are even better! (Hey, maybe I do need some maintenance work... ;-)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.