Home Hi-Rez Highway

New high resolution SACD releases, players and technology.

Just made an appointment to audition DV-50 two days from now

From the sounds of it, it offers a significant leap over the 1st and 2nd generation SACD machines. I'd be keen to hear if it will sound even less digital than the Krell SACD Standard.

I heard the Lindemann again under different conditions (Avante Garde speakers & Audio Note amps.) Again, it showed itself to excel in all the hi-fi qualities: amazingly detailed, solid deep wide soundstage, firm controlled timbre, dynamic, subtle etc. However, to my ears, that underlying colouration of timbral hardness (lack of timbral flexibility) I heard the 1st time, compared to analogue replay and the Krell SACD Standard, still remained.

As evidenced by the many people who feel the Lindemann is fantastic, I am sure many listeners people would not mind this, or would not detect it, even as they do not mind the sonic signature of Wilson or Genesis speakers, as long as the speakers image well and provide a dynamic bass wallop. But my main prerequisite is to have the digital player provide a clear timbral palette ie. without any resonant signature that underlies and seeps into all instrumental timbres like a drone or aftertaste, like vinyl, live music or analogue tape.

My choice is now narrowed down to either the DV50 or the Krell. I won't be able to hear the Krell and Dv-50 side by side, but even that type of test is not perfect. What I will listen for is whether the DV-50 is able to sound as analogue as the Krell. I think this is easy to listen out for, and is a sonic parameter distinct from what the changes that different speakers and amps bring about.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.